Friday, March 6, 2009

Treasures

“Put up for yourselves treasures in heaven…”

It was a difficult week. It started with having to finally ask 3 of our Creative Connections students to take a 3 week “break” from coming, due to escalating behavior difficulties. It ended with Reach’s good digital camera coming up missing (just within 30 minutes after it had been set down). In between was a DVD that Anthony brought in to Teen Studio coming up missing, and then the furnace and the internet malfunctioning at the same time. The furnace and the internet, thankfully, got taken care of pretty quick. But the camera and the DVD are still missing; Jessica and I are still sad that 3 children are missing out on Reach for 3 weeks.

I have a week like that and the motivation goes down fast. But when I consider the “treasures” that we have at Reach…

…Like the number of volunteers who have applied to be part of what we do. That blows me (and my sad mood) away. I find myself wondering how I ever managed without this many great volunteers!
…Like Savannah (Teen Studio participant) who approaches Jessica and I with the words: “what else do you have going on here at Reach, because I really want to spend more time here”. She is now also volunteering for our Creative Connections program to help mentor younger children, and planning to come to the Open Clay Studio.
…Like the dad of a teenager who lives nearby and had to stop in to find out what Reach was all about because he noticed how happy people seemed coming and going from here and wants to get his child involved.
…Like the time spent showing youth how to make stuff I love to make and having them get excited and curious.
…Like Jessica, Reach’s Outreach Coordinator, who comes to Reach thanks to the Americorp*VISTA program, and who does so much to support and assist with keeping Reach going.

People and relationships. All of this and more has been given to Reach and no thieves can take that away!

No comments: